Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. *

Performance Mentality?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Performance Mentality?
hs.vivace.sn

View Profile Email
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »

In what state of mind/emotional state do you feel you perform the best in?

Personally, I think I'm best when I'm wide awake/well-rested and a little angry or sad. I don't find that I can perform really well when I'm totally, off-the-wall happy (unless its a super innocent/cheery song, which is unusual) but if I'm too emotional it tends to mar my technique. Anybody feel the same?

EDIT: I know this isn't strictly repertoire, it's more universal, but it does apply to performing repertoire in general XD
HSDamian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »

Well, i agree that i have to be wide awake, but i usually prefer being in a calm mood where i can focus, otherwise ill stress out and mess up. i guess if i wanted to play something aggressive and forceful an angry mood wouldn't hurt, but if i was mad at the conductor I'd probably mess up on purpose Cheesy!

PIKACHU Cheesy
HSjon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »

well i usually play better when im fully awake =P
also if i am in a very energetic mood i can get into the music piece better even if the piece does not call for much energy, it is better for me to be energetic than too calm... Cheesy
DJ Luca

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:27:36 PM »

I seem to perform best when well rested and just slightly nervous. The former is generally good for you, while latter adds to my intensity and excitement while playing. Furthermore, the nerves help clear my mind and focus my brain on the task at hand.
hs ricky fu

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:49:25 PM »

i definitley have to be relaxed, or at least focused. Make sure that i am fully warm, and not cold, so my fingers don't slow down on me when i need them the most.

Mentally/emotionally, some negative emotions definitley helps me to play, angry and sad emotions work very well, especially for a piece by chopin. Some pieces really require a happy mood, and sometimes its very hard to get the right feeling, especially when this mood doesnt come to you very often Tongue

While playing your entire repertoire, sometimes you notice that some days, you play one piece better than others. This is because of this very fact, you have to almost switch your moods from one extreme to another sometimes, in order to achieve the right tone in your playing, sometimes that could be challenging, especially right after a very passionate piece or a very jumpy piece Tongue

I love to be very lyrical, passionate and emotional when i play...sometimes i have to remind myself that i cannot be so lyrical in some pieces, especially those pain-in-the-ass classical era pieces Tongue
hs.vivace.sn

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »

I love to be very lyrical, passionate and emotional when i play...sometimes i have to remind myself that i cannot be so lyrical in some pieces, especially those pain-in-the-ass classical era pieces Tongue

Amen brother.

Cheesy

I feel like I only enjoy playing when it's lyrical or at least artistic in some way. The sonatinas etc. etc. just bore me (maybe because I can't play them well? XD)
hs gaj

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »

For me, I use a lot of strategies from golf to get me into the performance mentality.  I take a ton of deep breaths exhaling longer than I inhale.  It really makes me relaxed whenever I am in a pressure situation of some sort.  I have used this at Kiwanis Festival and at final concerts and it has helped me a lot.
hs.vivace.sn

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »

That's so awesome! I'm totally trying that.
hssawmmie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:28:09 AM »

I would have to say i am excited

The pressure seems to make me want to perform even better!
HS Alex Cheung

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »

The best time that i perform is when it's loud and unsettling...
Just the noise of the place makes it seem like a less serious atmosphere

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: